Thursday, May 26, 2011

Power Down Day

          So I did not go one whole day without using technology. With work, my social life and having this class on-line I am always using technology. I read this assignment and thought it would be interesting to see if I could do this so I was going to try to go without using any technology from 5 p.m. yesterday until 5 p.m. today. I was doing so good in the beginning and I told myself I could do this, then a huge storm came and I started worrying and had to use my cell phone unfortunately because I was not at home. Then when I got home our electricity went out and I continued to use my phone to contact people and get news about the storm and to get on Facebook to keep myself occupied for a little bit because I am terrified of severe storms. Then today I realized I had to do some stuff for school before five o’clock today on my lap top so I had to use technology then too.  Also when I think about it I couldn’t have gone one day this past week without technology because of being so busy. Being a supervisor at a grocery store I use technology, I have to use the cash register and the intercom which would both be considered technology. Also I am glued to my phone, I can’t think of one day I don’t use it. Especially because of trying to get a hold of my parents when I need to ask them an important question and I also tutor a girl so I need to use my phone to be able to get a hold of her so she knows what time I can come, etc.  It was harder than I expected to go without technology, you don’t realize how much you talk on the phone or get on the computer until you actually sit down and think about it, and then it is surprising. Although one thing is I do not watch much television and I can say that I didn’t play any video games, and loosing electricity from the storm eliminates some technology out of my day. I would recommend this to my friends and I would like to try it again because it would be interesting to see how many text messages you actually get, how many voicemails, how many Facebook notifications, etc. It would probably be nice to go one whole day with peace and quiet and no distractions all day from our technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment